Enteric coated omeprazole is a gastric ulcer medication with a protective coating that ensures that the active ingredient only gets released where it’s supposed to.
Some medications (like omeprazole or common asprin) are only effective when they’re absorbed in the small intestine, not the stomach. This means they need a protective coating to stop them being dissolved in the highly acidic environment of the stomach.
Furthermore, there are other treatment mechanics which make enteric coated granules an easy and effective ulcer medication.
This type of equine ulcer treatment is available online, with no prescription.
How enteric coated omeprazole works
The word enteric indicates small intestine, therefore enteric coatings prevent release of medications before they reach the small intestine.
The coating remains stable in the horse’s stomach but breaks down when it enters the less acidic environment of the small intestine.
Once absorbed, omeprazole limits the production of stomach acid – which gives equine gastric ulcers a chance to heal.
The benefits of treating with enteric coated omeprazole:
- It’s affordable. With daily doses starting from $2.10/day – it’s much cheaper than the alternatives (which are around $9/day). There’s also no need for a vet consultation for a prescription.
- It wont dissolve straight away in wet feed. However, we recommend you sprinkle it on top of a damp (not ‘slushy’) feed – right before feeding.
- Enteric coating is tasteless which is great news for fussy horses.
- Abler’s omeprazole granules are brightly coloured which makes it easy to see if any medication has been left behind.
- It’s easy to measure. Available in either single-use sachets or a bulk pack (with a pre-measured scoop)
Where can you get enteric coated omeprazole?
You can buy enteric coated omeprazole online without a prescription.
The two most popular products are AbPrazole™ and AbPrazole Plus ™
AbPrazole ™ is an enteric coated omeprazole treatment available as:
- AbPrazole sachets – for $2.10 each,
- AbPrazole Bulk Pack – equivalent to 50 single sachets for $105.00
AbPrazole Plus ™ is omeprazole combined with a pharmaceutical grade probiotic.
The probiotic components helps to restore the horse’s natural intestinal flora, which leads to more rapid recovery. ApPrazole Plus ™ is available as:
- AbPrazole Plus ™ sachets – for $2.24 each
- AbPrazole Plus Bulk Pack – equivalent to 50 single sachets for $110.50